Sunday 1 April 2012

Bread Upma Recipe


This recipe was one of the first recipes that I learnt in my life, and surprisingly it is also the first recipe which I posted in my blog. And guess who taught me this recipe, my sister. She is a fantastic cook. She has a passion for cooking right from her childhood. I don’t know why and how, but she developed this knack when children like us were far away from the kitchen. And it is definitely from her that I got some inspirations for cooking.
Bread upma is a fantastic recipe for breakfast. It is quite easy for even an amateur cook. The dish needs no other accompaniments and is also fine for serving as dinner. Bread upma can be prepared in many ways, but this is my (also my sister’s) way of preparing it. I love this dish and I am sure you will like it as well. Enjoy…
Recipe test- Tested
Servings- 4
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 15-20 minutes
Ingredients-
1.    1 ½ packets of half-pound white bread
2.    2 large onions, thinly sliced
3.    ½ cup of Indian curry leaves
4.    2 red dried chilies
5.    6 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
6.    2 teaspoons of salt
7.    3 teaspoons of sugar
8.    2 small carrots, thinly sliced
9.    1 ½ teaspoons of black mustard seeds
10.    2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, for frying
Method-
1.    Arrange three slices of bread one above the other and slice those in three vertical pieces.
2.    Then take one of the sets of the sliced breads and cut them horizontally in three more pieces as shown in the picture. Cut the whole packet of bread in the same way and then keep them aside in a bowl.


3.    Then cut the onion and the carrots into thin slices and tear off the curry leaves from the stems. Wash the vegetables and keep them in a bowl.


4.    Next, add some oil in a kadhai or skillet and let the oil heat up. Set the flame on medium and then put the vegetables in the oil. Fry the onions, carrots, red chilies and the mustard seeds in oil.
5.    Fry the onions until translucent and then season the vegetables with ½ teaspoon of salt.


6.    After that, add the chopped breads and pour the tomato ketchup over the breads. Season the upma with the remaining salt and sugar and then fry it until the breads are nicely coated with the ketchup and turn into light brown color.


7.    Once done, serve the upma in a fancy plate and garnish with a green chili and some curry leaves.



No comments:

Post a Comment

.Creative Commons Licence
all works in this blog by relish my recipes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 India License.